SIBL > Science and Technology Information > Cosmetics
How can I keep current with the latest news and information in the cosmetics
Indexes and Abstracts
An index is a print or electronic resource that provides
citations to articles published in periodicals, journals or newspapers.
Some are general while others are specific in their subject coverage.
An abstract has all the information provided by an index
with the addition of a summary of the article.
Note: For additional information on Indexes/Abstracts: see: http://www.nypl.org/research/sibl/science/scindexes.htm
Guidelines to formulating a search
- Use AND, OR, NOT to combine your keywords: i.e.
and lipstick” will yield articles with both terms
“perfumes or fragrances” will yield articles with perfumes or fragrances
“toiletries not toilets” will yield articles with toiletries, but
- Use truncation or wildcards (usually represented by * or ?) to find
terms with similar roots:
with yield articles with perfumes, perfumery, perfumeries, etc.
- To search a phrase, use quotes: e.g. “skin care”; “hair
- To be more specific in a search, limit the search by:
Date (e.g. last 12 months)
Type (e.g. industry surveys; company overviews)
Format (e.g. full text)
Level (secondary; research)
Selected Electronic Databases
Related to Cosmetics
These resources are available in the Rohatyn Electronic Information Center
(EIC) at SIBL or are available from home/school/office with an NYPL borrowers
card (*) from the library website, (http://www.nypl.org/databases/index.cfm?act=2&j=home). See
also the Research Libraries listing of online databases: http://www.nypl.org/databases/ for a complete
listing of on-site databases.
Note: For additional information on electronic databases, see: http://www.nypl.org/research/sibl/science/scieic.htm
- Applied Science and Technology Abstracts (EIC)
Articles. Abstract and Index Database. Locate articles in 390 key English
language periodicals in applied sciences. Covers engineering, computers,
mathematics, physics, energy related topics, chemistry, and data processing.
1983 - Present. Updated: Monthly. Also available in print 1958 - Present.
- EBSCOHost (EIC) and (*)
A family of abstract and full-text databases. Relevant ones include: Academic
Search Premier, Business Source Premier, Masterfile Premier, Newspaper
Source, Professional Development Collection.
- General Science Abstracts
Articles. Abstract and Index Database. Locate articles in periodicals covering
astronomy, biology, the environment, conservation, health, microbiology
and oceanography, and other subjects. 1984 - Present. Updated: Monthly.
- PROMT (Predicast Overview of Markets and Technology) (EIC)
Articles. Full Text and Abstract Database. Use this database to research
companies, the products and technologies they produce, and the markets
in which they compete. Includes summaries and full text from nearly 1,000
business and trade journals, industry newsletters, newspapers, market research
studies, news releases, and investment and brokerage firm reports. 1994
- Present. Updated: Daily.
The following electronic databases also contains relevant articles/reports
- Business & Company Resource Center (EIC) and (*)
- Environmental Policy Index (EIC)
- General BusinessFile ASAP (EIC)
Selected Print Indexes and Abstracts
- Abstracts in new technologies and engineering (ANTE)[*R-Z7913 .A27]
- Applied science & technology index [*R-Z7913 .I7 1958-Present]
- Current contents. Physical, chemical & earth sciences (CC/PC&ES)
- General science index [*R-Z7401 .G46]